SchnucksCooks.com - Caldillo StewPrep: 15 minutes • Cook: 40 minutes • Serves: 4
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Schnucks diced tomatoes
- 1 pound Schnucks custom cut beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Schnucks olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 large potatoes (about 10 ounces each), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- warmed corn tortillas (optional)
- Drain juice from tomatoes into large measuring cup. Add enough water to equal 1-1/2 cups; set aside. Add stew meat, flour and salt into large zip-tight plastic bag; seal bag and toss until meat is coated with flour mixture.
- In 5- to 6-quart saucepot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Shake off excess flour from stew meat; add to saucepot and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown all sides. Stir in chiles; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and reserved tomato-water mixture; cover and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender. Serve stew with tortillas if desired.
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!