SchnucksCooks.com - Rye Patty MeltPrep: 10 minutes • Cook: 20 minutes • Serves: 4
- 4 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices hearty rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Schnucks extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1-1/2 pounds Certified Angus Beef[r] ground round
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Schnucks garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) Schnucks sliced Swiss cheese
- Spread butter on both sides of bread. In 12-inch skillet or griddle over medium heat, cook bread about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden; set aside.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and browned, stirring occasionally; remove onions from skillet and set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix beef with onion powder, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Shape meat into 4 large oval patties, each about 1/2-inch-thick. Preheat same skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until internal temperature reaches 155°F for medium doneness.
- Arrange 2 slices of cheese on each patty. Cover skillet and cook 1 minute or until cheese melts. Serve burgers on rye bread with onions.
Each serving: About 830 calories, 42 g total fat (17 g saturated), 155 mg cholesterol, 1280 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 57 g protein.
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!