SchnucksCooks.com - Senate Bean SoupPrep: 20 minutes • Cook: 40 minutes • Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon Schnucks olive oil
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or crushed with press
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Schnucks petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) Schnucks great Northern beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) less-sodium chicken broth, 1 can (14 to 14.5 ounces) vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Culinaria Turkish ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Culinaria paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in celery, garlic, carrot and onion; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze juice from lemon into saucepot. Add tomatoes with their juice, undrained beans and remaining ingredients; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes to blend flavors. Makes about 10 cups.
Each serving: about 170 calories, 3 g total fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 8 g protein
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!