SchnucksCooks.com - Potato Leek SoupPrep: 15 minutes • Cook: 35 minutes • Serves: 4
- 3 large leeks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated diced fresh potatoes with onion
- 1 container (32 ounces) less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup Schnucks heavy whipping cream, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus additional for garnish
- Trim off root and leaf ends from leeks. Discard any tough outer leaves. Thinly slice white part and about 2 inches of lighter green end. Wash leeks well. In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, melt butter over medium heat; stir in leeks. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add potatoes and 2 cups broth; cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In blender at low speed, with center part of lid removed and clean towel draped over opening to allow steam to escape, or with immersion blender, blend potato mixture in small batches until very smooth. If necessary, add additional broth for easier blending.
- Return potato mixture to saucepot. Add salt, pepper and remaining broth. Heat over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until mixture is heated through. Remove saucepot from heat; stir in cream and parsley. Ladle soup into soup bowls. Swirl additional cream into soup and sprinkle with additional parsley to serve.
Each serving: About 480 calories, 20 g total fat (13 g saturated), 70 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!