Grilled Tomatillo Relish
- 1½ pounds fresh tomatillos
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 2 limes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 green onions, cut into large pieces
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 4 teaspoons Schnucks extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Schnucks hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Remove and discard outer husks and stem from tomatillos. Rinse tomatillos well to remove sticky surface. Cut each tomatillo in half, then place in rimmed baking pan, cut side up. Lightly spray tomatillos with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Place tomatillos, cut side down, on hot grill rack. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tomatillos soften, begin to release their juices and appear charred in spots, turning once halfway through grilling. Transfer tomatillos to same rimmed baking pan.
- 3. From limes, squeeze 3 tablespoons juice. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse garlic and onions until coarsely chopped. Scrape down side of food processor bowl. Add cilantro, oil, hot sauce, salt, lime juice and tomatillos and pulse until mixture is chopped but still slightly chunky. Transfer relish to small serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days in advance.
Each 2 tablespoons: about 21 calories, 1 g total fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!