Italian Meatball Subs
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 2-1/2 medium yellow onions, divided
- 2 pounds Meat Masters 73% lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 Schnucks large eggs
- 1 cup Schnucks old fashioned or quick oats
- 1 cup Schnucks shredded Italian 6-cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped Full Circle fresh basil and/or parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons Schnucks crushed oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 green, red and/or yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Schnucks pizza sauce
- 8 Schnucks Select deli buns
- 1 cup Schnucks finely shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray large rimmed baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Finely chop half an onion; slice remaining 2 onions. In large bowl, gently mix chopped onion with ground beef, garlic, eggs, oats, 2/3 cup Italian cheese blend, basil, oregano, salt and black pepper. Form meat mixture into about thirty-two 1-1/2-inch meatballs. Arrange meatballs without touching on prepared pan. Bake meatballs 25 minutes or until browned and internal temperature reaches 155°F.
- Meanwhile, spray nonstick 12-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add bell peppers and sliced onions and cook, covered, over medium-high heat 7 to 10 minutes or until peppers are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In 4- to 5-quart saucepan, heat pizza sauce over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked meatballs and gently stir to coat with sauce.
- Spoon 4 meatballs with some sauce into buns. Sprinkle each sandwich with about 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese and scant tablespoon remaining Italian cheese blend; top with pepper-onion mixture.
about 728 calories, 38 g total fat (15 g saturated), 198 mg cholesterol, 1772 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 35 g protein
Find Articles and Recipes
Become a Food Expert!
Where Food Meets Fun!
You're Such a Foodie!
Learn tips, tricks, and read articles directly from the SchnucksCooks team!
Browse our Recipes
Ideas, Recipes and more!
Check out the SchnucksCooks Magazine, now available online and in-stores!