Snacks don’t have to be loaded with fat and calories to taste delicious. Unsalted air-popped popcorn, unsalted pretzels, matzo and rice cakes are always best bets when seeking low-fat, low-sodium crunchy snacks. But when you’re craving more variety, reach for these products with a healthy nutritional profile to satisfy any snack attack. Each ounce contains up to 120 calories, 4 grams of fat and 160 milligrams of sodium:
• Frito-Lay® Smartfood® popcorn clusters taste so great, you’ll think you’re indulging. But with five grams of fiber and 20% of one’s daily calcium requirement, health food never tasted so good!
• Nabisco reduced-fat Triscuit® crackers are whole wheat baked squares that provide 3 grams of fiber per ounce (about 6 crackers). If you’re watching your sodium, choose Triscuits with a hint of salt, and the level of sodium plummets to 50 milligrams per ounce, though, what you sacrifice in salt, you’ll gain 10 additional calories and a gram of fat.
• Stauffer’s® or Barnum’s Animals® crackers (aka cookies) will satisfy little ones, and parents can rest easy knowing they contain much less fat than most processed cookies.
• New York Style® baked cinnamon sugar pita chips provide a sweet, substantial crunchy snack that tastes even better with a smear of reduced-fat cream cheese. Available in many flavors, only the cinnamon sugar variety provides the best nutritional profile.
• Reduce fat and calories dramatically when you buy baked chips. Lay’s® Southwestern ranch potato crisps, Tostitos® Scoops!® and lightly salted Kettle chips are you’re best bests in the chip aisle.
• For a twist on rice cakes that satisfy your sweet tooth, try Quaker® True Delights™ wild blueberry multi grain fiber crisps or Quakes® chocolate or apple cinnamon rice snacks.
Though it’s nearly impossible to omit salt altogether, we suggest several tips to considerably lower your intake. Read More!
From light to extra virgin, purchasing olive oil can be confusing. Processing techniques can determine the nutrient value in the oil. Read how to pick the best olive oil for heart-health. Read More!
Fend off unwanted holiday pounds with five foods that help boost our body’s metabolism to burn calories. Read More!